About the client
A major pharmaceutical company with annual revenue of $57 B, operating in 70 countries worldwide.
The nature of the industry meant the client was heavily regulated. Having adopted a cloud-first strategy and started running workloads across multiload platforms (AWS, AZURE, GCP), they had still experienced higher than anticipated monthly cloud bills.
As part of a cloud transformation programme, we leveraged a number of third-party tools, surfaced end-end cost leakages across the multiclouds and identified quick wins. Examples included:
- Automatically powering on/off non-productive/non-active instances outside of business hours.
- Enabling alerts when costs exceed predefined limits.
- Providing recommendations on re-architecting.
- Providing a defined approach to leverage spot instances.
- Providing a multi-year vendor contract
- Delivering recommendations with projected capacity analysis and introducing CCOE functionality, among many others.
On successful implementation the project delivered a reduction of 20-25% of running costs thanks to cost optimization techniques and automation, and of 35% by selecting a commitment model.